Wayland

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sedition Wars - First Models Finished

A little under a year ago, I was going nuts for the Sedition Wars Kickstarter, by Studio McVey. I missed the bus for the Zombicide fund, but I liked what I saw on its successor and jumped aboard. After a long wait, the game got sent out and, after a slightly shorter pause, I have got round to painting up the first five (of about 50!) figures.

Not quite 10% of the way there...

The setting for the game is a future dystopia, nothing novel there. Except in this world-gone-mad, terrorists have attempted to awaken ancient gods or something but inadvertently fused AI with bio-matter, creating a new life-form - the Strain. Dun, dun derrrrr! Sedition Wars: The Battle for Alabaster takes place in a research station that has been infested with this new biohazard - players can be either the troops sent in to investigate and reclaim the place or the Strain.

Gameplay is fun enough, but I really want to talk about the miniatures here.

The McVeys are artists, so the visual design of the set is a pretty big component.

Girls! In space!

The art and the mini's have what I can't help thinking of as a 'European' feel. Maybe its the fact women are part of the Vanguard - the combat troops sent in to the fight. Maybe its the fact there are non-Caucasians in there.  But I think there's something else about the while thing that just doesn't feel like standard Americanised sci-fi. Nothing against Americans or American sci-fi.  But I'm not going to buy just any old marines-in-space game. These figures are all very very cool though. I'm looking forward to painting Akosha and the higher level Strain models in particular. But you do get a lot in the box, even if you don't have the Biohazard pledge level set with double the basic figure count or all the optional extras to work through. Add to that my addiction to BLOPS2 and Aliens:CM, and, well, its going to be a while before they're all ready.

Master Who?
The five Vanguard I have finished off are based with GW's Astronomicon Grey, washed with a mix of blue and black wash, layered again with the Grey, then a layer of Grey mixed with Skull White, then a line highlight of White. This gives a very cold looking model, so, to contrast,  I did the visors with a base of Blazing Orange, then a layer of Vallejo's Amarillo Yellow, and a highlight of Sunburst Yellow. For the ladies, basic skin tones and light coloured hair provided a bit of warmth. The bases are all done with a base of Black mixed with a touch of Codex Grey. I then drybrushed them with Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, and, finally, Space Wolves Grey. I washed them with thinned Desert Yellow, and added a few spots of Devlan Mud for added warmth.

Not entirely gratuitous - also to show the detail on the back
For playing pieces for a board game, I'm fairly happy with the standard and it didn't actually take too long either.

Next: a few Strain grunts, before I treat myself to a character mini.


No comments:

Post a Comment